Ever wonder what could be the best skin products for African American skin? Wonder no more! Here’s the list of best skincare products for African American Skin:
Shea Moisture African Black Soap Facial Systems Kit
Here’s the list of best African American facial cleansers you can use to restore a natural skin glow:
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial System Kit 4oz.
- Jack Black – Skin Saviors Set.
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Body Wash 13 oz.
- Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off Exfoliator, 3.53 Ounce.
- Shea Moisture African Black Soap With Shea Butter.
For best results, always finish with a good facial moisturizer for black skin, and if you are no sure of what works best, here’s the list of best facial moisturizers for African American skin:
|Shea Moisture African Black Soap Balancing Moisturizer||CHECK AMAZON PRICE NOW|
|Era Organics Face Moisturizer Cream.||CHECK AMAZON PRICE|
|Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer.||CHECK AMAZON PRICE|
|St Ives Facial Moisturizer for Dry Skin.||CHECK AMAZON PRICE NOW|
|Cetaphil Fragrance-Free Daily Facial Moisturizer.||CHECK AMAZON PRICE NOW|
On a lighter note, we all love our skin, especially having a glowing skin on our faces matters a lot. Just like anything else we love, we have to take care of it to maintain its shiny texture and glow.
Taking care of our skin involves a lot of things, especially if you have very sensitive skin. The most important factor about taking care of your skin is, none other than, finding out your skin type.
Once you have figured out where you have oily skin or dry skin, this will enable you to choose the product that will be suitable for your skin type. That being said, products that are meant for oily skin can’t be applied on dry skin- except if indicated “for all skin types”
There are so many products out there and more are manufactured each and every day. In this article, we will put a spotlight on African American skin and give you some of the tips that you can use to take care of it better.
On top of this, we will give you a list of products that are suitable for such skin, to prevent unnecessary development of acne as well as how it can be treated.
When we speak of acne, it is no laughing matter. Acne is one of the most stressful conditions that you can go through.
While some people never develop acne on their face, to others that have experienced it before (I know I have) at one point or the other know just how much work is required to treat it.
Acne develops when the facial skin has accumulated a lot of dirt and oils in its pores. This leads to inflammations, which we sometimes call breakouts.
However, this isn’t the only way that acne develops. It isn’t just caused by a dirty face. It is sometimes caused by simple adolescence. A lot of people naturally experience breakouts during their teens- Yes, I’m talking about hormones.
Besides this, many people get frustrated when they are so careful about their skin and they have a cleansing routine but the acne still develops. It doesn’t mean that you are not cleaning your face enough.
People that are experiencing acne have skin cells that do not shed away properly. Such people are more sensitive to irritation caused by acne-causing bacteria which is called Propionibacteria acnes.
Acne and African American Skin
This goes without saying. People that have dark skin seem to have more acne compared to people that have other skin tones.
On top of that, when the acne eventually heals up, people that have a darker skin tone experience more noticeable dark spots, which are associated with raised scars.
Whether you have this type of skin tone or other skin tones, the method of preventing the acne or the after-effects of acne remains the same; you always have to begin the acne treatment before the acne gets worse.
On top of that, you should stay away from habits that can cause your acne to get even worse- like popping the breakouts, for instance.
How do you treat Acne on your black skin?
Now that we have established the idea that there are different types of skin tones, we know that not all products can be suitable for the African American skin tone.
Some products are not safe and they can lead to either the development of acne or even other problems on top of the acne.
For example, Retinoids (like Adapalene, which is sometimes called Differin or Epiduo), cause the skin to become more sensitive to the sun.
As such, you might need to be applying sunscreen every time you leave the house. If you haven’t applied sunscreen and you happen to be exposed to the sun, such products can increase the tendency to develop dark spots as well as hyperpigmentation.
But do not worry, such dark spots can be treated with a dark spot remover. So basically, it is either you buy sunscreen or you buy the dark spot remover.
I suggest that you prevent it in the first place. The ingredients that are suitable for black skin and that, I might add, are on the top of the acne treatment ingredients list of the American Academy of Dermatology (Or AAD) are Benzoyl peroxide and Salicylic acid.
Let’s describe them one by one.
Benzoyl Peroxide: This is probably the most effective ingredient that cures acne- it is also the safest for black skin. It goes deep to fight the bacteria that cause acne to develop.
On top of that, it unclogs the skin pores while preventing an acne break out. However, Benzoyl peroxide has one disadvantage- but not on your skin.
This ingredient bleaches clothing, sheets, pillowcases, and even towels. Your skin is safe.
Salicylic Acid: This ingredient unclogs pores, just like the other one, as well as reduces inflammations.
It is suitable for your skin if you have pimples, blackheads, and will black spots will fade to nothing.
The best part about this ingredient is that it does not ruin your towel, sheets, or any other clothing that it comes into contact with.
Treating acne on black skin- Some do’s and don’ts
While you might have black skin, the methods of taking care of your skin and reducing your acne are not so different from the methods used on other types of skin tones.
Let me give you some dos and don’ts on treating acne on your skin.
Do not pop or pick them
When you pop or squeeze your acne, you are pushing the contents (whether it is the pus, oils, or the dirt) deeper into your skin.
As a result, the acne will come out stronger and will be much worse than before, because it is going deeper. This will also lead to deeper scars and the dark spots will be much harder to remove.
Make changes to your hair care routine
If the acne has developed mainly on your forehead or your temple, especially near your hairline, your acne may be caused by an ingredient in your hair product. As such, you need to make a change to that before treating the acne.
Go for a hair product that is safe for your skin as well- something that does not have strong ingredients like sulfates, for instance.
Do not apply Cocoa Butter or Shea butter on your face
Cocoa Butter and Shea butter are high in oils as compared to other products. Such oils can clog your skin pores, which can worsen the acne.
Remember, your black skin is prone to acne so you should be trying as much as you can to minimize the clogging.
Do not use thick makeups
Thick or oily makeups are, without a doubt, the most effective way to hide the blemishes on your skin. However, such makeups can make your acne worse.
If you want to be using makeup on your dark skin, I suggest that you go for the makeups that are labeled “oil-free”, “for acne-prone skin” or “non-comedogenic”
Always use the pat dry method
When you wash your face, either using soap or a facial cleanser, you should always pat your face dry rather than actually wiping your face.
If you have acne and you are wiping your face, you actually irritate your skin and this is most likely to cause more acne.
On a side note, it is recommended that you use a clean towel- preferably a towel that you only use on your face.
Top 10 Best Facial Cleansers Suitable for your black skin
Now that we have looked at the few tips on how you can take care of your skin better, here is a list of the top 10 products that I think you should try out.
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)
This product was originally made for people with dry or oily black skin, so it’s the first on our list.
It is fragrance-free, so don’t worry about irritations if you have sensitive skin. On top of that, it is non-comedogenic (or it doesn’t contain pore-clogging oils)
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser | 12 Fl. Oz | Daily Face Wash for Oily Skin | Fragrance Free
- [ ALL OVER CLEANSING ] Suitable for use on the face, body, even hands
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Unique formula with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that cleanses and removes oil without disrupting the skincare barrier or leaving the skin feeling stripped of natural moisture
- [ MOISTURE-RETAINING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture and niacinamide to help calm skin
- [ FOAMY LATHER ] Foaming action gently refreshes
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Fragrance free, non-comedogenic, non-drying and non-irritating. This refreshing gel effectively removes excess oil, dirt, and makeup
CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser (Dry Skin)
When it comes to facial cleansers, CeraVe never seems to disappoint. This hydrating facial cleanser is specially formulated for people with dry skin.
Just as the name states, these products has a lot of hydrating benefits. Besides that, it has hyaluronic acid, which mainly attracts moisture to the skin.
CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser | Moisturizing Non-Foaming Face Wash with Hyaluronic Acid, Ceramides & Glycerin | 16 Fluid Ounce
- [ DAILY FACE WASH ] Gentle cleansing lotion with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin to help hydrate skin without stripping moisture. Removes face makeup, dirt, and excess oil, provides 24-hour hydration and leaves a moisturized, non-greasy feel.
- [ NON-FOAMING CLEANSER ] Moisturizing facial cleanser with a lotion-like consistency feels smooth as it cleanses, even on sensitive, dry skin. Paraben-free, fragrance-free, soap-free, non-comedogenic, non-drying, and non-irritating. Certified by the National Eczema Association
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
- [ DERMATOLOGIST RECOMMENDED ] CeraVe Skincare is developed with dermatologists and has products suitable for dry skin, sensitive skin, oily skin, acne-prone, and more
- [ MULTI-USE SKINCARE ] Skin Cleanser for face and/or body and can be used as a hand wash. Suitable for daily cleansing morning (AM) and night (PM)
Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser (Dry Skin)
This is another great product for dry as well as sensitive skin. This Vanicream cleanser is free of sulfates, fragrance, parabens as well as preservatives.
Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, 8 fl oz pack of 2
- Free of amines and amides
- Apply generous amount to wet skin, lather, rinse, and pat dry with towel. Ideal for daily use.
Cetaphil Gentle Foaming Cleanser (Combination Skin)
Many people that have used this product have stated that it leaves the skin soft and balanced after cleansing.
Also, it is fragrance-free, making it suitable for sensitive skin.
Cetaphil Facial Cleanser, Daily Face Wash for Normal to Oily Skin, 16oz (Pack of 2)
$21.00 in stock
- Gentle enough for everyday use; Mild and non irritating formula is perfect for normal to oily skin and is suitable for even the most sensitive skin
- Clinically proven too deep clean skin: Cleanses without leaving skin feeling dry
- Skin feels refreshed & moisturized: low lather formula will not strip skin of essential oils, which can leave skin feeling dry and tight
- Removes oils & dirt: Hypoallergenic facial cleanser is gentle enough for morning and night use and is clinically proven to deep clean skin and remove oils, dirt and makeup
- PERFECT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Dermatologist recommended and non comedogenic skin cleanser rinses clean without leaving pore clogging residue; Massage a small amount onto wet skin. Aluminum free
St. Ives Gentle Oatmeal Smoothing Face Scrub and Mask
This product is gentle on the skin and it acts as an exfoliator, so it will be suitable for you if you have sensitive skin.
St. Ives Smooth & Nourished Scrub & Mask, Oatmeal 6 oz (Pack of 4)
- 2-in-1 Face Scrub & mask. Softens skin and smoothes away dryness
- Used as a scrub, smoothes away dullness, leaving skin looking and feeling soft & healthy
- Used as a mask, instantly nourishes skin
- Instantly reveals skin’s natural radiance
- Made with the 100% natural exfoliant walnut shell powder
Cetaphil PRO DermaControl Oil Removing Foam Wash
If you have oily skin, I’m sure you will love this product. It makes the skin soft, leaving it silky and matte.
Even though it was made for oily skin, the Oil removing foam wash is suitable for other skin types as well, because of its balancing effects.
Cetaphil PRO DermaControl Oil Removing Foam Wash 8 oz (Pack of 3) - Packaging May Vary
- Clinically proven to remove excess oil and control shine
- Calming formula, won't over dry skin
- For a complete skincare regimen, use Cetaphil Derma control oil control moisturizer with SPF 30
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)
Known as one of the best facial cleansers for almost all skin types, the Daily Cleanser has a foaming formula and it removes debris from the skin without stripping it of its natural oils.
Gentle Foaming Cleanser (Pack of 2) - Gently Cleanses without Leaving Skin Dry or Tight - Rich Airy Lather - For All Skin Types - Fragrance Free & Suitable For Sensitive Skin 8oz
- CETAPHIL GENTLE FOAMING CLEANSER: Effortlessly removes dirt, oil and makeup without leaving skin feeling dry or tight
- SOFTENS AS IT CLEANS: Infused with hydrating glycerin and essential vitamins B5 & E to help maintain skinÔøΩs natural moisture balance
- INSTANT FOAMING ACTION: Self-foaming pump produces rich, gentle lather
- NON-IRRITATING & FRAGRANCE FREE: Hypoallergenic formula is also noncomedogenic so it wonÔøΩt clog pores or irritate sensitive skin
- DESIGNED FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: All CETAPHIL products are effective yet non-irritating
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser & Makeup Remover
For those of you who love makeup, you need a facial cleanser that will provide a double cleanse, to clean both the debris as well as the makeup residues on the skin.
This product is great for all skin types and is suitable for sensitive skin.
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser & Makeup Remover with Glycerin, Oil-, Soap- & Alcohol-Free Daily Face Wash Removes Dirt, Oil & Waterproof Makeup, Non-Comedogenic, 9.6 fl. oz
$6.17 in stock
- Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser, plus makeup remover, washes away dirt, oil and makeup in one easy step for refreshingly clean skin
- All-in-one makeup remover and facial cleanser creates a foamy lather that cleanses without over-drying skin and helps remove even waterproof makeup
- Safe for sensitive eyes, this gentle face wash won't irritate or sting the sensitive eye area and is non-comedogenic so it won't clog pores
- Facial foaming cleanser with glycerin is dermatologist-tested and features a formula that is hypoallergenic and oil-, soap- and alcohol-free
- From a dermatologist-recommended skincare brand, this daily cleanser rinses completely clean with no pore-clogging residue left behind
La Roche Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser
Although suitable for dry to sensitive skin, this product was made for all skin types, which applies to oily as well as acne-prone skin.
It provides a very deep cleanse while ensuring that the skin remains hydrated after the wash.
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser, 13.52 fl. oz
$11.99 in stock
- Gentle hydrating face wash cleanser for normal skin to dry skin suitable for sensitive skin
- Formulated with La Roche Posay Prebiotic Thermal Water, Ceramides, Niacin amide and Glycerin
- Soap Free; Oil Free; Fragrance Free; Non comedogenic; Allergy tested; Paraben Free
- Daily cream facial cleanser hydrates skin
Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam (Combination Skin)
Last on our list is this product that is great for combination skin type. It gives the right balance of moisture on your skin, ensuring that your skin stays hydrated.
Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam 5.07 Fluid Ounces (150mL)
$14.95 in stock
- 150mL bottle with pump
- for impure and acne-prone skin
- with Montaline C40 for deep skin cleaning
- Dermatologically / Clinically Tested
- Great as a daily cleanser
It also contains Montaline C40 as well as vitamin B5, which gradually improves your complexion.
The Bottom Line
Before you consider buying any products, you have to make it a priority to know your skin type.
Once you do, it is very easy to know the products that will prevent the occurrence of breakouts as well as make your skin shine.
IN THIS ARTICLE LEARN ABOUT.....
- 1 Acne
- 2 Acne and African American Skin
- 3 How do you treat Acne on your black skin?
- 4 Treating acne on black skin- Some do’s and don’ts
- 5 Top 10 Best Facial Cleansers Suitable for your black skin
- 6 CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)
- 7 CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser (Dry Skin)
- 8 Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser (Dry Skin)
- 9 Cetaphil Gentle Foaming Cleanser (Combination Skin)
- 10 St. Ives Gentle Oatmeal Smoothing Face Scrub and Mask
- 11 Cetaphil PRO DermaControl Oil Removing Foam Wash
- 12 Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)
- 13 Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser & Makeup Remover
- 14 La Roche Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser
- 15 Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam (Combination Skin)