Shaving down there can be tricky if you don’t know what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. When you get razor bump or razor rashes, it can be very itchy and causing discomfort and in most cases really painful. In this article, I will guide you through how to shave down there without getting razor bumps, what causes razor bumps, and razor rashes, and how to protect skin after shaving.
What is the difference between razor bumps and razor rashes?
More often, people mistake razor bumps and razor rashers, but these two are different conditions that can cause discomfort.
Razor bumps are what you call ingrown hair, this often happens when you cut the hair strands which curls back into the skin and starts to grow under it. Because the hair is not coming out on the surface, it causes colored skin and bumps that look like pimples.
Razor rashes which are also known as razor burn usually occur when you shave skin without wetting the skin, or when you use a worn-out blade to shave. Razor rashes can cause itchiness, redness, and tenderness.
What causes razor bumps?
Here are some of the things that cause razor bumps or rashes:
- Shave a dry skin
- Using a worn-out razor
- Your skin type
- Having a sensitive skin
What are the treatments for razor bumps?
In most scenarios, razor bumps or rashes heal naturally without the need for any form of treatment, but if you want to speed up treatment or it is taking a long time to heal, then follow the below treatments for razor bumps guide.
- For infected skin due to irritation, you need to consult a dermatologist.
- Apply cold lotion or cloth using Aloe vera or any calming oil to help soothe the irritated or heated skin. Usually, the itchy or scratching is what delays the healing of razor bumps, this remedy reduces that and increases the healing process.
- Place a warm towel on the razor bumps, allow some minutes for the towel to sit, doing this helps the ingrown hair break out from the skin. Doing this will also soothe the pain and itching caused by razor bumps.
- Always keep your skin well moisturized using skin moisturizer, this will reduce itchiness or the longing to itch.
How To Shave Down There Without Getting Razor Bumps
How to prevent razor bumps?
This guide is to help you minimize the chances of having razor bumps because there is no guarantee that after shaving you will not get rashes or bumps from razor especially for people with sensitive skin. Follow these below guides on how to prevent razor bumps on skin after shaving.
When you exfoliate, you are removing dead skin and preventing ingrown hair and razor rashes. Before you shave, use a loofah or scrub and gently scrub the skin. Check out these 25 Best Exfoliating Face Mask For Sensitive Skin.
Do not shave dehydrated or dry skin, this is because when the skin is dry and you shave it, increases your chances of having irritated skin. It is advisable to soak your skin in warm water by either taking a shower, then apply a shaving gel, this is to maintain moisture.
Sharp razor blade
It is recommended to always change your razor blade when used twice or three times, especially for people with sensitive skin. When you shave with a sharp razor, you are doing your skin a great deal by protecting it from bumps, scratches, and even rashes. How to know when to change razor is if it pulls your body hair or if it feels rough.
The right razor
Just using any razor won’t help either, choose a razor with more blades or at least three blades can help to prevent razor bumps and irritation. These blades glide more effortlessly on the skin and are tightly spaced, allowing for a closer shave and requiring fewer strokes.
There are different ways to shave different parts of the body, shave towards the direction of the growing hair with light and steady strokes to avoid irritation.
Moisturize after you shave
Once you have finished shaving, you should apply some moisturizing oil or lotion, use an alcohol-free moisturizer to help retain skin moisture and to protect the skin from razor bumps and burns.
Top 6 shaving razor blades
Below are the top best shaving razor blades to choose from and avoid razor bumps, rashes, and irritation.
1. Personna Women’s 5 Blade Razor System
The razor handle is reusable and has replacement blades. It is a 5 blades razor that glides through any curves easily. It has a moisture halo that contains shea butter, vitamin E, and jojoba oil and it is suitable for people with sensitive skin.
Personna Women's 5 Blade Razor System - Women's Shaving Razors - Razor Handle with 12 Replacement Cartridges
- American Heritage: Personna was the first company to introduce the safety razor in the US. Today their razors for women are renowned for their performance.
- Modern Technology: Reusable razor handle and replacement razorblades pivot to shave delicate areas. Womens razors designed to glide across your curves.
- Made in the USA: Personna ladies razors have ceramic coated steel razor blades are made in the US from imported steel.
- Moisture Halo: Personna razors for women 5 blades are suitable for sensitive skin. The moisture halo is made with shea butter, jojoba oil, and vitamin E.
- ✔ COMPATIBLE with Personna Women's 5-Blade Razor Handles only. Cartridges are designed to work with the handle in this set. Please do not attempt to use with other brands or razor handles.
2. Venus Extra Smooth Women’s Razor Blade
This razor has a comfortable grip handle and easily glides into any curves. The razor is a 5 blades razor which helps avoid razor bumps. It has a water-activated ribbon which provides moisture around the blade for easy gliding, the microfine comb around the blades help to guide the hair right into the blades.
Gillette Venus Extra Smooth Swirl Women's Razor - 1 Handle + 2 Refills (Packaging May Vary)
- 5 of our THINNEST & SHARPEST BLADES
- The water-activated RIBBON OF MOISTURE around the blade helps protect from nicks & cuts
- FLEXIBALL HANDLE pivots to your body for virtually no missed hairs
- All VENUS BLADES FIT all VENUS HANDLES
- The pivoting, ROUNDED HEAD HUGS CURVES and fits easily into hard-to-shave areas
3. Gillette Venus ComfortGlide Vanilla Crème Women’s Razor Blades
This Gillette razor blade has 3 curve-hugging blades with vanilla soap to help glide on the skin and through curves. The razor comes with extra 6 refills.
Gillette Venus ComfortGlide Vanilla Crème Women's Razor Blades - 6 Refills
$14.25 in stock
- Womens razor with 3 curve-hugging blades
- Vanilla Crème Scented Soap Bars flex to curves and release Lush body Butters
- No need for separate shave cream
- Vanilla Crème Scent
- Any Venus blade fits any Venus razor handle, except Venus Simply 3
4. Aveline Smooth Women’s Razor with 6-Blade Cartridge
This razor has 6 blade cartridge for gentle shaving to help reduce the chances of razor bumps by gliding smoothly on the skin. It also has gliding balls to help avoid having to press any harder while shaving.
Aveline Smooth Women's Razor with 6-Blade Cartridge - Gliding Roller Balls - Finger Control Handle
- Aveline Smooth Women's Razor with 6-Blade Cartridge
- Extra gentle on sensitive skin. Dermatologically approved.
- Aveline introduces a unique suspension and rubberized, flexible and non-slip finger-ring, that enables you to shave by feel!
- Shaving using two contact points creates a ‘suspension’ that allows the blades to automatically pivot, so you can quickly and confidently get a super-efficient shave with ease.
- Aveline’s simple one-push blade release saves you the frustration associated with conventional razors.
5. DORCO Shai Sweetie 6-Blade Women Disposable Razor
This razor has 6 blades and it is disposable. It has a soft brush finger, high performance, and easy to use. The open-air cartridge allows for the easy rising of the razor, it also has a lubricating strip that contains Aloe and vitamin E moisturizing band for smooth and irritation-free shaving.
DORCO Shai Sweetie 6-Blade Women Disposable Razor 6-Count with Eyebrow Razor
- 6 precision blades hug every contour of your body, delivering a comfortable, smooth shave.
- A soft brush finger to gently massage skin and expose low-lying stubble, resulting in a higher performance shave and total hair removal and a seamless, even shave
- The ergonomically designed, non-slip rubber handle is situated perfectly for a woman’s grip, resulting in tighter control and a perfectly even shave over all the body’s contours
- Our open-flow cartridge allows a quick, easy rinsing and extended blade life. An upgraded lubricating strip containing an Aloe, Vitamin E moisturizing band, specially designed for women to leave softer skin feeling clean, smooth and irritation-free.
- Eyebrow Razor 1count
6. Equate 5 Blade Razor for Women
This 5 blades razor is an ideal shaving razor blade for people with sensitive skin, with a round cartridge that provides comfort. The coated blades help with a close and smooth shave, the moisture halo contains botanical oil to keep skin moisturized while you shave.
Equate 5 Blade Razor for Women, 3 pc - Compare to Venus Embrace (2pack)
- 2 Razor and four cartridges total.
- FRESHPACK DISPENSER & SHOWER TRAY for fresh blades and convenient shower storage
- ROUNDED CARTRIDGE helps you shave your every curve comfortably
- COMFORT COATED BLADES for a close, smooth shave.
- MOISTURE HALO with botanical oils; cartridge designed to glide over skin
Follow these helpful guides on how to shave down there without getting razor bumps and save your skin from razor bumps, razor rashes or burn, and irritations.
IN THIS ARTICLE LEARN ABOUT.....
- 1 What is the difference between razor bumps and razor rashes?
- 2 What causes razor bumps?
- 3 What are the treatments for razor bumps?
- 4 How To Shave Down There Without Getting Razor Bumps
- 5 How to prevent razor bumps?
- 6 Exfoliate skin
- 7 Hydrate skin
- 8 Sharp razor blade
- 9 The right razor
- 10 Hair direction
- 11 Moisturize after you shave
- 12 Top 6 shaving razor blades
- 13 1. Personna Women’s 5 Blade Razor System
- 14 2. Venus Extra Smooth Women’s Razor Blade
- 15 3. Gillette Venus ComfortGlide Vanilla Crème Women’s Razor Blades
- 16 4. Aveline Smooth Women’s Razor with 6-Blade Cartridge
- 17 5. DORCO Shai Sweetie 6-Blade Women Disposable Razor
- 18 6. Equate 5 Blade Razor for Women