Primers are the most important part of your makeup especially if you are planning to have the makeup on your face for a little longer. Primers serve as a base so makeup can be applied, and there are different types of primers, with some made for a specific skin type while others are for all skin types. For this article, I will be focusing more on the best primers for acne-prone skin. Read Also: Acne Treatment – best skin care products for combination acne prone skin.
When you have acne-prone skin, the case is different, your skin can easily get affected by chemicals contained in primers. In other words, your skin can be very sensitive to some of the product you apply to it.
In this article, you will also find some important guidelines on how to select the best primer for your skin and recommend to you the top acne-prone primers that will certainly suit you.
Below is the list of the top 10 best primers for acne-prone skin:
What is Acne-prone Skin?
There are two things you should be able to distinguish from, acne-prone skin and blemish-prone skin.
According to eucerin, an acne skin condition can be identified by pimples and is noncontagious, it is caused by an infected and inflamed sebaceous gland. While blemish is skin prone to blemishes and has the possibility to develop comedones and pimples. Acne-prone skin often appears shiny and oily because of a gland called the sebaceous which produces more sebum.
But before we continue with the best primers for acne-prone skin, I figured we should first have an understanding of what it means to have acne-prone skin. As already stated above, even if you have sensitive skin, there are so many products out there that are made especially for people with sensitive skin type including primers.
This is how you know you have sensitive skin, having a completely different reaction from other people when you use the same skincare product they are using. This means your skin type is different from theirs. Also, if your skin is always or easily gets dry out and increasing the risk of a breakout or developing other conditions. This usually occurs when you apply cosmetic products that contain strong chemicals like parabens, you may start to experience irritations on your skin or face which can lead to a breakout. Read also: How to Treat Acne With Antiseptic Aloe Pura’s Aloe Vera Gel with Tea Tree Oil For Acne.
Your skin may also have black spots as a result of earlier acne break out, also sunlight and the accumulation of dirt and makeup residue on your face can give you problems.
There are so many things that have the potential of causing a breakout. This is what it means to have acne-prone skin.
What is a Primer?
Just in case you are not familiar with what a primer is, let me give you some hint about primers.
A primer is a product that is basically applied on your face, onto which make up is applied. The aim of the primer is to make your face smooth and to make the application of the makeup a little bit easier, primers help make the face hold the makeup in place.
What type of primer do I need?
There are so many types of primers out there. I have to start by giving you all the types of primers before deciding which is best for you. Knowing the different types of primers and how to differentiate them the next time you see them in a shop. Read Also: What Helps With Redness From Acne.
Types of primers
1. Anti-Aging Primers.
These types of primers are formulated to keep your makeup intact while providing both protective and reparative qualities. Many of these primers have SPF, which is what protects the skin from the sun’s UV rays, keeping you from developing any skin conditions while the primers are applied.
The sun’s rays will only hit the makeup and will not penetrate your skin. When your skin is protected from the rays, its texture will be preserved, keeping it from drying up. As a result, your skin will not only look young, it will feel young. Read Also: How To Cure Acne Due To Hormonal Imbalance.
2. Blurring Primers.
The blurring primers use light-reflecting technology to create a soft-focus effect that airbrushes out flaws. As such these types of primers are sometimes called the Instagram filter for your face.
A good example of such a primer is the Maybelline New York Facestudio Master Prime Blur + Smooth. It holds makeup all day and gives you a flawless look.
3. Illuminating Primers
If you want your foundation to look a lot more like skin and not makeup, the illuminating primer is the type of primer you should be looking for.
For such primers, you can choose to apply them on your whole face or just pick where to apply it. For instance, the nose area, just because it looks much like your skin, and is barely noticed. However, primers do add some complexion to those skin areas it is applied.
The best part about this type of primers is that it suits people of all skin types as well as different skin colors.
4. Hydrating Primers
Having dry skin can be a great challenge, you need all products that will maintain moisture on your skin rather than removing it. For acne-prone skin, you need a primer that will provide a good base for your make up while ensuring that your skin is hydrated. Read Also: Best Acne Treatment – That Really Work, According to Dermatologists.
5. Pore-minimizing Primers
This type of primer is great if you have pores that seem to dominate your face. This formula minimizes the pores on your face making the pores less noticeable on the skin by simply blurring out the pores. In addition to that, it also mattifies so you can get rid of shine and greasiness in one swipe. This brings us to our next types of primers.
6. Mattifying Primers
These type of mattifying primers are an excellent product for those that have oily skin. The best primer for oily skin gives the skin a blurred effect, covering all the spots that you may have and bringing out the glow of your skin. You find some of these matte primers in my best primers for acne-prone skin product reviews below. Read Also: Best Toner For Oily Skin And Large Pores.
7. Color-Correcting Primers
The color-correcting primers are quite diverse from the others, it is formulated to erase problems with the concept of the color wheel.
If you are not familiar with the concept, it is simply a system where shades on the opposite side of the wheel cancel each other out. This helps to conceal any complexion issues that you may have, especially now that you are experiencing one break out after the other which messes up your overall complexion. Read Also: Accutane Side Effects Male.
So, what type of primer will suit me?
For sensitive skin such as yours, you don’t need just an ordinary primer, you need a primer that will hold your makeup into place. This is also while ensuring that your skin stays hydrated and protected from the sun’s rays. Most importantly a primer that will cover up all the spots you may have. Read Also: Puberty Acne How Long Does It Last.
I have put together some 10 primers that I think will give you the benefits that you need.
Top 10 Best Primers for Acne-prone Skin
I am certainly convinced you will love these products, even though the products are not listed in the order of hierarchy. These are your everyday recommended products that will surely produce intended results.
1. Smooth Affair Facial Primer and Brightener- by Jane Iredale
Best primer for oily skin and large pores
This formula is known for its ability to hold your makeup all day long. It helps to minimize the appearance of pores on the skin while ensuring that your skin tone is brightened.
The best part about this product is that it contains antioxidants, that target the impurities on your face, so it stays hydrated as well making it the best hydrating primer and the best pore minimizing primer. Read Also: 10 Best Body Lotion For Glowing Skin.
jane iredale Smooth Affair Facial Primer and Brightener, 1.7 Fl Oz
$34.63 in stock
- Brightens and refines the skin.
- leaves a luminous glow.
- gives a long-lasting foundation application.
2. Color Correcting Primer- by Mineral Fusion
Best hyperpigmentation concealing primer
The primer contains natural ingredients like aloe vera and chamomile, it also one of the best primers on the market right now. This formula is made from mineral pigments that help in concealing hyperpigmentation and any unwanted redness for flawless skin.
It maintains your skin tone by fading out the dull areas of your skin and smoothens the skin texture. Read Also: 10 Best Lotion For Crepey Skin On Arms And Legs.
Mineral Fusion Color Correcting Primer By Mineral Fusion for Women, 1 Ounce (Packaging May Vary)
$15.98 in stock
- COLOR CORRECTING PRIMER: This primer helps cover imperfections such as redness & hyperpigmentation while it smoothes skin texture & evens skin tone, filling in lines for an even makeup application.
- NATURAL FORMULA: Aloe & chamomile calm sensitive skin leaving it balanced & comforted. Natural antioxidants & wrinkle fighting, collagen-boosting peptides help minimize the appearance of fine lines
- SMARTER MAKEUP: Improve your complexion & nourish your skin with our line of lip tints, eyeshadows, brushes, foundations, nail polishes, mascaras, primers, eyeliners, moisturizers, face creams & cleansers.
- NATURAL COSMETICS: We select effective natural ingredients & ensure our products are free of gluten, parabens, talc, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, SLS & phthalates. We NEVER conduct animal testing.
- HEALTHY BEAUTY: Mineral Fusion offers a wide range of nail polish, hair care, body care & skin care - each formulated to deliver the uniquely beneficial power of minerals. Products made in the USA.
3. MINERAL PRIMER- by Better’n Ur Skin
Best anti-aging primer
The mineral primer was made with special botanic as well as organic ingredients which help to keep the skin hydrated and strengthened.
Also, I think you will love the fact that this product comes with anti-aging properties, so you can keep looking younger for longer. This primer will control the redness of your skin and make it shine. Read Also: 25 Best Exfoliating Face Mask For Sensitive Skin.
Fifth & Skin Better'n Ur Skin MINERAL MAKEUP PRIMER - Natural - Organic - Vegan - Cruelty Free - Hydrate, Minimize Pores & Lines - Lightweight, Non-Greasy - ALL Skin Types - Paraben Free - 1 oz.
- ♥ BEST NATURAL PRIMER ON AMAZON! Prime skin for foundation with the best Mineral Moisturizer / Makeup Face Primer packed with Botanicals to help your skin look its best with NO chemicals! Control oil and shine, minimize pores, fine lines, wrinkles and extend foundation makeup wear.
- ♥ SMOOTH, LIGHTWEIGHT & NON GREASY: Hydrate, smooth and prepare your skin for a perfect makeup application that lasts all day (8-12 hours). Makes skin soft, smooth and silky. Non-greasy formula – a little goes a long way and is Noncomedogenic & Hypoallergenic so it won’t clog your pores. Only need 1 pump! This 1 oz. bottle will last a long time.
- ♥ MADE WITH ORGANIC and BOTANICAL INGREDIENTS: Non Toxic & All Natural | Gluten Free | Vegan | Certified Cruelty Free | Non-GMO | Palm Free | Paraben Free | Fragrance Free | 1 oz.
- ♥ ANTI-AGING PRIMER FOR ALL SKIN TYPES: This healthy, vitamin packed, anti-aging facial primer is the perfectly balanced makeup base for all foundations and ALL skin types, sensitive, mature, normal, combination, oily and dry skin! Use less moisturizer or no moisturizer at all! (this primer can replace daytime moisturizer).
- ♥ MADE IN THE USA: Proudly made in the USA, keeping our jobs here and using high quality ingredients we choose and know are safe, natural & effective!
4. Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne- by Cover FX
Best primer for acne-prone skin
Cover FX understands that the appearance of our skin makes the bigger part of our self-confidence positive. This is why we get so stressed when we are experiencing breakouts. The mattifying primer was specifically made for people that have acne-prone skin.
COVER FX Mattifying Primer, 1 Fl Oz
- MATTIFYING PRIMER: A weightless gel primer that mattifies the skin, treats blemishes and minimizes the appearance of pores.
- VEGAN & CRUELTY-FREE: It’s formulated with 1% salicylic acid to prevent and heal blemishes and Ancient African Tree Bark to minimize pore size and control shine throughout the day.
- HOW TO USE: Apply to well moisturized skin with fingertips, beginning at the center of face and blending outward. Wear alone or under makeup.
- CLEAN INGREDIENTS: Our products are always free of talc, parabens, fragrance, mineral oil, gluten, sulfates and phthalates.
- COVER FX was founded on the belief that people can have both clean ingredients and high performance in one brand. We invite you to mix, experiment and play to create your formula for beauty
5. Foundation Primer- by Laura Mercier
Best non-comedogenic and oil-free primer
I’m sure you remember earlier in this article, you may have a skin type that doesn’t need a lot of chemicals, but instead, you should opt for natural ingredients. Laura Mercier came up with the foundation primer that is non-comedogenic and oil-free. The product was formulated with vitamins A, C, and E to keep the skin healthy.
It holds makeup for an extended period of time, which is what a good primer does, and it is surely a value for your money. Read Also: 25 Best Under Eye Concealer For Indian Skin Tone.
Laura Mercier Pure Canvas Primer Hydrating, 1.7 Fl Oz
- It Is A Lightweight Primer.
- This Formula Provides Invisible Coverage.
- This Gives Healthy Glow On Skin.
- Helps Prevent Water Loss
- Boosts Softness & Suppleness
6. Super Universal Face Primer- by Clinique
Best lightweight and water-based primer
This primer is one of the most popular face primers on this list, mainly because it is suitable for all skin types as the name also suggests. It is a lightweight primer that is completely water-based. and it is also fragrance-free, which means you won’t have to deal with any smells, especially those which can irritate you.
When applying this on your face, you can either use a makeup sponge or you can simply use your fingertips. Read Also: Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion With Pump Vs. Avene Hydrance Rich Hydrating Moisturiser.
Clinique Super Universal Face Primer Dry Combination to Oily Skin for Women, 1 Ounce
$24.88 in stock
- Super primer - Universal Face Primer - Dry Combination To Oily Skin was launched by the design house of Clinique
- 1 Ounce Primer
- It is recommended for casual wear
7. Shine Killer- by NYX Professional Makeup
Best oil-absorbing primer
The brand “NYX Professional Makeup” is a brand that we have been seeing for a long time and when it comes to primers, they really know their stuff and have the best oil-absorbing primer. This Shine killer primer is an oil-absorbing formula that ensures that excessive oils do not accumulate on your skin, which prevents breakouts.
Since we understand that makeup residues can be a reason for the development of acne, this primer creates a safe barrier between the makeup and your face. Read Also: Best Face Cream For Over 60 Year-olds.
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Shine Killer Primer
$12.06 in stock
- Mattifying Primer: Infused with oil-absorbing charcoal, this vegan mattifying primer provides all day shine control for an ultra-matte finish to create a perfect canvas for makeup application, while extending makeup wear all day
- All Day Matte Finish: This vegan formula applies easily to clean skin with your fingertips and dries down to a translucent finish; Take special care in applying to your t-zone and areas where your skin gets especially oily
- Face From Foundation To Finish: Complete your makeup look with our full line of face products to aid in color correction and coverage from concealer, blush, bronzer, foundations and contouring to palettes and powders
- Cruelty Free Cosmetics: We believe animals belong in our arms, not in a lab; All of our makeup is certified and acknowledged by PETA as a cruelty free brand; We don't test any of our products on animals
- Discover NYX Professional Makeup: Try all of our professional makeup products today from eyeshadow, eyeliner, and false lashes to liquid lipstick, lip gloss, primer, concealer, setting sprays and eyebrow makeup
8. Stay Matte Primer- by Rimmel
Best non-greasy and non-sticky primer
This primer comes in a bottle of 30 ml and is definitely a value for your money. The stay matte primer formula was designed to help minimize the appearance of pores on the skin. This pores primer helps the skin complexion to boost and shine for a long time. In fact, this primer takes control of your makeup and maintains a continuous shine for up to 8 hours.
When you apply this on your skin, you will not feel greasy or sticky, although it will most likely stick to your makeup, locking it in place. Read Also: Best Moisturizer For Aging Skin Over 60.
Rimmel, Stay Matte Primer, Pack of 2
- Volume: 30 milliliter (1 fl oz)
- Skin perfecting
- Ultra-lightweight formula
- Controls shine for up to 8 hours
- Never feels greasy or heavy
9. Veil Mineral Primer- by Hourglass Cosmetics
The best primer for sun UV rays
The Viel Mineral primer is not just any primer out there, it is made free from substances like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, and any synthetic fragrances. This is why it is recommended to people of all skin types.
Besides giving you all the benefits of a primer, acting as a barrier between your face and the makeup, this primer also acts as a sunscreen, protecting the skin from harmful UV rays of the sun. Read Also: Accutane Long Term Side Effects – Are You At Risk?
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer .12 Ounce Mini Travel Sample Size
|Is Adult Product|
10. Face Studio Master Prime Primer by Maybelline New York
Best primers to prevent clogging and breakouts
The last piece on my list is the Face Studio Master Prime Primer which blurs imperfections and balances your skin tone. You have the choice to wear makeup on top of this product or just use it alone. Most users have stated that it holds make up for a very long time, and you hardly need to do any touch-ups at all.
Maybelline New York Facestudio Master Prime Primer Makeup, Blur + Pore Minimize, 1 Fl Oz (1 Count)
$8.79 in stock
- Blurs skin imperfections and smooths fine lines
- Primes skin for even makeup application without a greasy feel
- Weightless, water-based formula, non-oily
- Apply all over face before foundation or wear alone
Now that you have familiarized yourself with the best primers for acne-prone skin, it is time to take advantage of all the work we have done and start exploring and revealing your true beauty. All the areas we have covered like what an acne-prone skin and blemish-prone skin look like, what a primer is, and how to choose the right primer. We try to make your experience much hassle-free by list out the types of primers available and what it does. I hope you have enjoyed every bit of the journey and the experience of seeking out the top face primers for acne-prone skin. Enjoy your primers. Read Also: Best Face Moisturizer With spf For Sensitive Skin.
IN THIS ARTICLE LEARN ABOUT.....
- What is Acne-prone Skin?
- What is a Primer?
- What type of primer do I need?
- Types of primers
- So, what type of primer will suit me?
- Top 10 Best Primers for Acne-prone Skin
- 1. Smooth Affair Facial Primer and Brightener- by Jane Iredale
- 2. Color Correcting Primer- by Mineral Fusion
- 3. MINERAL PRIMER- by Better’n Ur Skin
- 4. Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne- by Cover FX
- 5. Foundation Primer- by Laura Mercier
- 6. Super Universal Face Primer- by Clinique
- 7. Shine Killer- by NYX Professional Makeup
- 8. Stay Matte Primer- by Rimmel
- 9. Veil Mineral Primer- by Hourglass Cosmetics
- 10. Face Studio Master Prime Primer by Maybelline New York