Benzoyl peroxide is a multipurpose medication and industrial chemical that can subtly be used as an industrial chemical as well as a topical treatment for treating acne and Psoriasis. As a medication, it is used to treat mild to moderate acne.
For more severe cases it may be used together with other skincare treatments. Some versions come mixed with antibiotics such as clindamycin.
What makes benzoyl peroxide ideal acne treatment is the fact that it can easily be used along with other acne treatments. It’s drying and peeling effect makes it a good solution for oily skin prone to acne breakouts.
Benzoyl Peroxide Products
There are plenty of products that contain a concentration of Benzoyl Peroxide, and with that said, you have an option to use anything from benzoyl peroxide shampoo, acne face wash with benzoyl peroxide, as well as evening serums that complement your acne treatment routines using benzoyl peroxide.
Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash
1. GlyMed Plus Serious Action Skin Wash
Glymed Plus Serious Action Skin Medication No. 5
|Is Adult Product|
2. Control Corrective Blemish Control
CONTROL CORRECTIVE SKIN CARE SYSTEMS Acne Spot Treatment, 1 oz
- Strong exfoliating gel that aids in reducing acne breakouts by exfoliating the intracellular cement that clogs the pores
- For all non-sensitive skin types
- Oil free
3. AcneFree Daily Acne Face Wash 4.8 oz with 2% Salicylic Acid
AcneFree Daily Acne Face Wash 4.8 oz with 2% Salicylic Acid, Facial Cleanser to Help Prevent Acne Whiteheads and Blackheads plus Avocado Extract
- Helps prevent new acne from forming
- With Salicylic acid, avocado extract and refreshing menthol
- Purifies skin, removes oil, dirt and makeup
- Reduces oil and shine
- Dermatologist tested formula, soap free, easy to rinse
4. Proactiv Skin Smoothing Exfoliator
Proactiv+ Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, 6 Ounce (90 Day)
- CLEAR SKIN DOESN'T HAVE TO MEAN DRY SKIN - If your acne face wash is making your skin dry or dull, Proactiv was made specifically with you in mind. This acne treatment system prevents flare ups while brightening and promoting glowing, healthy skin.
- YOU NEED MORE THAN A PIMPLE CREAM - Proactiv Skin Smoothing Exfoliator prepare your skin for acne treatment by smoothing away excess dirt, oil and other impurities.
- A POWERFUL SENSITIVE SKIN FACE WASH - Because it's not just about treating your face today. This powerful yet gentle exfoliator helps prevent future flare ups.
- PORE MINIMIZER - The Proactiv medicated facial cleanser reduces the appearance of pores to give you healthier, smoother looking skin.
- FROM THE COMPANY THAT STARTED A SKINCARE REVOLUTION - Designed specifically for dry or dull acne-prone skin, Proactiv combines benzoyl peroxide to attack acne-causing bacteria with glycolic acid, which help reveal a smoother, softer-looking complexion.
5. Vivant Skin Care BP 3% Exfoliating Cleanser
Vivant Skin Care BP 3% Acne Wash | Benzoyl Peroxide Wash For Acne-Prone Skin | 8 Fluid Ounce
|Is Adult Product|
6. Benzoyl Peroxide 10
Perrigo 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Gel 2.1 oz
$15.85 in stock
- 10% Benzoyl Peroxide
7. Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories B Prox Anti-Blemish Face Wash
Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories B Prox Anti-Blemish Wash, 6.7 Fl Oz
- 10% benzoyl peroxide helps eliminate acne-causing bacteria while freeing pores from dead skin
- Detoxifying mineral-rich clays work to absorb over-abundant oil and refine pore size
- Advanced algae complex helps diminish the sensitivity that often accompanies acne treatments
- Canadian willow herb helps visibly and dramatically reduce redness and soothe irritation
- Select plant extracts to minimize pore size and alleviate excess oil
8. PanOxyl Acne Foaming 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash
PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash 10% Benzoyl Peroxide 5.5 oz (156 g)
- Now you can take control of your acne with Maximum Strength PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash
- the highest strength of Benzoyl peroxide (BPO) available without a prescription
- Dermatologist recommended ingredients.
9. Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Acne Treatment Body & Face Wash
Humane Face & Body Acne Wash, 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment, Oil-free, Paraben-free, Dermatologist-Tested, 8 oz
- Maximum-Strength Acne Treatment Wash: Formulated with 10% benzoyl peroxide, Humane Maximum- Strength Acne Wash is a potent face and body cleansing treatment that targets the primary cause of acne growth and combats excessive oil production. Helps to unclog pores, reduce inflammation and clear skin. Dermatologist-tested. 8 FL. OZ. bottle
- Treats Both Face & Body Acne: This non-foaming (SLS-free) cleanser can be used for face acne, body acne, back acne, butt acne, cystic acne, adult acne and teen acne.
- Unclogs Pores, Soothes Redness & Clears Skin: Helps clear up blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and below-the-skin cysts, while easing inflammation and redness. Increases cell turnover, removing the mixture of excess oil, dead skin and debris that clogs pores.
- Simple, Clean, Safe & Effective: Our products don’t chase trends. Instead, we harness the healing powers of potent ingredients to get you real results with clean, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients. You won't find parabens, phthalates, sulfates (SLS and SLES), alcohol, paraffin, formaldehyde, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance/color, petrolatum, DEA, triclosan, GMOs or animal byproducts in our formulations. A proud member of PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies program. Made in the USA.
- Minimal-Ingredient Philosophy: In a world where a clean skincare movement has gained momentum, we noticed acne treatments were being left behind. The Humane Company was created to bring a clean, minimal-ingredient philosophy to acne treatment. We focus on powerful and proven ingredients while eliminating anything harmful, questionable or superfluous.
Benzoyl Peroxide Side Effects
Here are the most common side effects of Benzoyl peroxide gels or creams. The side effects can vary from one person to the other, so do not be alarmed that any use of Benzoyl Gel will cause these side effects.
- Mild stinging.
- Tingly feeling.
- Skin dryness.
- Skin Flaking.
- Redness or other irritation.
Is Using Benzoyl Peroxide Safe?
Yes! benzoyl peroxide is safe to use. What benzoyl peroxide does to your face when used is to kill all acne-causing microorganisms giving your acne ravaged skin a chance to heal slowly back to its glowy form.
Benzoyl peroxide is a potent acne treatment, and most people who turn to the use of cream or gel with a concentration of benzoyl peroxide turn to it because of its effectiveness.
How Does Benzoyl Peroxide Work To Treat Acne?
Benzoyl peroxide uses oxygen to kill these bacteria. Because of I’s deep cleansing properties, benzoyl peroxide also helps to unclog pores that have been clogged by causing a mild peeling effect when used on your day to day acne cleansing routine.
Any woman who has pesky acne breakout during the term of pregnancy, look no further for the best acne treatment as benzoyl peroxide gels or creams are safe to use during pregnancy. So if you have been curious about benzoyl peroxide, it is absolutely safe to use during pregnancy.
Now, while am singing all the praise for benzoyl peroxide being the best acne treatment for you, there are other quarters who also say how bad benzoyl peroxide is bad for your skin when used to treat acne.
Why is benzoyl peroxide bad for your skin?
Benzoyl peroxide works by dehydrating the acne-prone skin, killing all the bacteria in the process. This particular process works well for any oily skin which is prone to acne. Beyond that, any cream or gel with benzoyl peroxide will also reduce inflammation of the skin while peeling it to reveal a fresh glowy skin free from acne.
The only time benzoyl peroxide will be bad for your skin, is when you knowingly use it on dry skin instead of using it on an oily skin that is ravaged with clogged pores.
Because benzoyl peroxide also reduces bacteria in the pores, it is necessary to keep an eye on your levels of beneficial bacteria that are helpful for keeping age-related skin issues in check.
Gels and creams with benzoyl concentration actually work so well to reduce inflammation of the skin, peels the skin to remove the blemishes, and unclogs pores filled with balm. Benzoyl peroxide has been associated with premature aging and dehydrated skin since it causes irritation to occur-anything irritating is usually dehydrating.
All in all, there is no acne treatment that will get rid of your acne without side effects.
Many folks have shared what seems to be fears of benzoyl peroxide side effects on a long-term basis.
The reality is if you can live with the after-effects of acne breakout, which is severe acne scars, skin discoloration, deep pores, and uneven skin surface, then you can afford to avoid the minor side effects of benzoyl peroxide on a long-term which are:
- A burning sensation when cleansing your face with benzoyl peroxide gel.
- Redness and Irritation of the skin (short term)
- Dry skin and peel off, gentle stinging, or mild itchiness when the acne is healing.
IN THIS ARTICLE LEARN ABOUT.....
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- Benzoyl Peroxide Products
- Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash
- 1. GlyMed Plus Serious Action Skin Wash
- 2. Control Corrective Blemish Control
- 3. AcneFree Daily Acne Face Wash 4.8 oz with 2% Salicylic Acid
- 4. Proactiv Skin Smoothing Exfoliator
- 5. Vivant Skin Care BP 3% Exfoliating Cleanser
- 6. Benzoyl Peroxide 10
- 7. Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories B Prox Anti-Blemish Face Wash
- 8. PanOxyl Acne Foaming 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash
- 9. Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Acne Treatment Body & Face Wash
- Benzoyl Peroxide Side Effects
- Is Using Benzoyl Peroxide Safe?
- How Does Benzoyl Peroxide Work To Treat Acne?
- Why is benzoyl peroxide bad for your skin?